[rhn-users] Memory utilization 100%

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Tue Sep 5 17:35:07 UTC 2006

  I believe I found your explanation on RH memory.

On 7/4/06, Simon Ball <sball cromwells co uk> wrote:

     What's happening here is that the large transfer is mostly
ending up in the disk cache in ram. The disk cache will take up ram,
but be relinquished when other things need it (ie. it's as good as
free memory, over 800meg of it in your case). The reason none of your
swap is being used is because you do not in any way need it. Having
zero swap usage is a very good thing, using swap instead of ram is a
sign your machine is under-speced for the job.

     http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=175419 provides a
reasonably concise overview of the problem here.

     simon

However,  the memory is not released when I want to write DVDs unless
I reboot the system.