[rhn-users] The purpose of this mailing list

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Sep 5 22:06:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> jef e wrote:
> > Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >
> > > How does this sound?:
> > >
> > > "Discussions about using Red Hat Network to apply updates to Red Hat
> > > Enterprise Linux, including discussion about particular Red Hat
> > > Enterprise Linux updates."
> > >
> > > Is this too broad? How do / have you found this list most useful? Let's
> > > focus the purpose towards that.
> >
> > I think it's a good start, but despite all good intentions to make the
> > description as accurate as possible, I think that you might need to
> > actually include what the list *isn't* for.
> >
> > Perhaps also include pointers to the other lists,  so that those folks
> > that do need help can get better results from the proper community of
> > users.
>
> Okay, so I've updated some of the metadata about this list. The changes I made
> are listed below.
>
> If there are any corrections for these or any further suggestions on how to
> manage this list and better the signal-to-noise ratio please let me know.

Thanks Máirín, these changes will he people decide better whether they
should subcribe, but it won't fix currently subscribed people sending
(or answering) off-topic mails.

I'd propose to (for one or 2 weeks) answer off-topic mails like I did with
the last 2 off-topic mails, just so there is a definitive statement from
Red Hat.

The rationale should be that off-topic posters are better off on another
mailinglist for their own sake. And my opinion (and I know other people
disagree about this) is that such statements ought to be public in order
to be generally useful.

Of course, as soon as the signal-to-noise ratio improves, very few
correction mails need to be send.

Just my opinion.

Kind regards,