[rhn-users] Re: The purpose of this mailing list

Andy Purkiss-Trew a.purkiss at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Wed Sep 6 12:14:11 UTC 2006

Mirn Duffy wrote:
>    2. Re: The purpose of this mailing list (M?ir?n Duffy)
> jef e wrote:
> > Mirn Duffy wrote:
> >
> >> How does this sound?:
> >>
> >> "Discussions about using Red Hat Network to apply updates to Red Hat
> >> Enterprise Linux, including discussion about particular Red Hat
> >> Enterprise Linux updates."
> >>
> >> Is this too broad? How do / have you found this list most useful? Let's
> >> focus the purpose towards that.
> >
> > I think it's a good start, but despite all good intentions to make the
> > description as accurate as possible, I think that you might need to
> > actually include what the list *isn't* for.
> >
> > Perhaps also include pointers to the other lists,  so that those folks
> > that do need help can get better results from the proper community of
> > users.
>
> Okay, so I've updated some of the metadata about this list. The changes
> I made are listed below.
>
> If there are any corrections for these or any further suggestions on how
> to manage this list and better the signal-to-noise ratio please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> ~m
>
> Changes
>
> - The listinfo page [1] has been updated to include a more descriptive
> about message, including a statement about what this list is *not* for
> (RHEL-specific topics that don't involve RHN) and pointers to related
> mailing lists.
>
> - The short description for this list displayed on the full RH mailing
> list page [2] has been changed to: "Discussions about Red Hat Network
> (rhn.redhat.com)'
>
> - The following has been added to the welcome message for new subscribers:
>
> "Welcome to the Red Hat Network Users list!
>
> This list is for discussions about using Red Hat Network
> (http://rhn.redhat.com/) to manage and apply updates to Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux, including discussion about particular Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux updates.
>
> This list is not intended for discussion  about topics specific to Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux that do not involve Red Hat Network. For discussion
> of such topics, you may want to try:

> [3] Red Hat System Administrators' list:
>
> References

In addition, could I suggest the e-mail to new subscribers (or a
modified version) is also posted to the list on a regular basis (say the
first of the month), as a reminder to subscribers. I have seen this
procedure work well on other lists, and the message is easy enough to
filter out for regulars.

And could we also have some more regular input from Redhat employees to
keep the list on topic, rather than relying on external people trying to
do the job.

Andy Purkiss-Trew