[rhn-users] problem with installing mysql server

Chen, Jason jun.chen at okstate.edu
Thu Apr 12 22:02:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

Recently, I found our mysql is not running correctly. Then I tried install the new version of mysql. However, on out Redhat AS 4/x86_64 platform, there were conflicts. I'm not able to remove all the related mysql rpms since there are duplicate rpm names, like mysql-4.1.20-2.RHEL4.1. There are 2 of them. So I couldn't remove them with rpm -e and have a 'clear' upgrade.

When I resort to the Redhat CD's, I tried to install the old version of mysql, i.e. 4.1.7. But I got error when I tried to install mysql-server-4.1.7

"failed dependencies: mysql=4.1.7 is needed by mysql-server-4.1.7-4.RHEL4.1.x86_64".

This type of error also prevents from installing some other mysql related packages. Can anyone tell me why it is asking an rpm package which is already there and how to solve the problem?

Thanks1
Jun