[rhn-users] Cloning machines

Dave Edsall - JETSETer edsall at iastate.edu
Mon Apr 16 19:40:30 UTC 2007

>I have done this using dd .. on none raid systems..
>
>If both disks are the same size this will work.
>
>The local changes will need to be done afterward include the name of the
>system and the IP address if you are running fixed IP :-\ if you are
>running DHCP then you should not need to worry about that.
>
>I go into single user mode with the target/slave disk just connected but
>not used by the OS on either the sata or ide bus
>
>The command that I have used is
>
>nice -19 dd if=3D/dev/hdc of=3D/dev/hdd bs=3D8192k &<ret>

   I've done this also, many times, with up to 20 systems. When I can't remove
the drives, I have booted each system off bootable CDs running Damn Small
Linux, set up a private network between them with a cross-over cable and done
the dd via ssh.

   We've also done this once with a RAID 1 container to another RAID 1
container.

>I have seen a complete duplication on a 150 Gig drive being done in 1
>hour 40 minutes.. your speed will vary depending on the CPU clock speed
>etc..=20

   In my case, a 40 GB disk will take just under half an hour.

      Dave

Dave Edsall
Academic Systems Software
Information Technology Services