[rhn-users] firefox and yum

Paula J. Lindsay paula at scripps.edu
Wed Dec 12 18:52:55 UTC 2007

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me with this silly problem.  I'm
working on a RHE 3 machine and I am trying to install yum
so I can yum down firefox.  Well, when I try to install yum (via rpm)
there are too many dependencies/conflicts and the install
fails.  I finally gave up and downloaded a firefox package and I can't
install that either.  I get this message:

(firefox-bin:1120): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I am getting so frustrated because these were such simple tasks and I am
just spinning my wheels.  Why is it so hard to install
these two programs.  Why doesn't the rpm that I download already have
the libs and python that is needed.  I can't even
google the problem because I always end up where I downloaded the
program in the first place.  Any help would be
dearly appreciated.  And, thanks in advance.
Paula

--
Paula J. Lindsay
IT Analyst III