[rhn-users] learning the RHN ropes

Martin, William wmartin at lgb-inc.com
Fri Dec 21 19:59:00 UTC 2007

I have been put in charge of some RH servers, and inherited the RHN account from the previous sysadmin, with no guidance. I have little sysadmin experience, so I have some newbie questions about RHN updates:

- the servers are set up with Auto Errata Update = Yes, but there is a huge list of Errata and Packages to update the servers with, months-worth of them. the rhnsd daemon is running every four hours, but as reported by logwatch it only does a few updates now and then (a few a week). no idea how it picks them. it does pick up updates I explicitly schedule on RHN, so that part works fine. doesnt Auto Errata Update mean all updates should be done without user intervention?

- what is the relationship between rhnsd and up2date? up2date --list does show the whole long list of pending updates. it seems rhnsd is not running off the same list, or just picks a tiny fraction of it.

thank you for your attention
WIM