[rhn-users] Network Installations via RHN Proxy Servers

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Feb 11 19:56:52 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, inode0 wrote:

> While I know there is no official support for this, everyone must do
> it or arrange network installs from somewhere else. We maintain
> network install trees for RHEL3, RHEL4, FC5, and FC6 currently and I
> am getting tired of doing an installation and then needing to apply
> hundreds of updates immediately after a fresh install.
>
> It doesn't seem to me that it would be that difficult to update the
> installation trees as packages are updated so a fresh install will be
> current right after it finishes. I am quite capable of not
> understanding why some things are problematic though. At least that
> would be a lot nicer for users who do interactive installs.
>
> Can someone tell me what would need to be changed in these trees? I'm
> thinking some repodata mods would be required for the fedora side and
> perhaps something in the base directory on the RHEL side. And then
> there is the question of how to get the updated packages from RHN to
> put into the trees. mrepo is the only tool I'm vaguely aware of that
> allows grabbing such updates in a single location. It would be nice
> though if Red Hat just accommodated the need for this directly.

We've discussed doing this on the mailinglist (and I have had some
conversations with people that have this on their wishlist).

One of the problems is the differences between distributions, another is
the fact that mrepo starts from ISO images (and as a result are read-only
mounted) to save disk space.

What I am interested to look at is using fuse/unionfs to make the
ISO-images modifiable and as a result rewrite the on-disc metadata to
accomodate kickstart installations.

For this mrepo needs an understanding of anaconda's metadata and apply the
correct methodology, unionfs integration and the metadata re-generation
functionality.

Usually mrepo development is driven by effort from users. The best way to
get new features in mrepo is looking into specifics, join discussions and
providing patches/information.

PS Starting with RHEL5 this is really no longer necessary as RHEL5 allows
to use normal yum repositories. The fact that Yum is now moving to an
sqlite metadata format will probably mean that for FC7/RHEL6 will again
have a different methodology :)

Kind regards,