[rhn-users] NIS or automounter problem

Hugo Simon hugo.simon at gmx.de
Wed Jan 17 12:57:36 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have some problems with Redhat EL machine. It was configured as a NIS
member for over a year, running fine. Since monday I cannot log on to the
machine. Not as root or any other user. Also not directly on the console.
The system accepts user ID and password but the stops responding. No error
message, nothing.

When I reboot the machine I notice that "starting autofs" takes minutes,
which was before a matter of seconds. I don't think that there are critical
directories automounted via NFS or so. But I cannot verify this because I
cannot logon. :-(

I tried starting in single user mode. That works. But then? What can I do?
Maybe disabling the NIS and automounter at first would be a good idea. But
how? I work with Linux seldom, so I need some hints.

Other machines running AIX working with the same NIS environment and even
mounting the same NFS folders are running fine.

Any comment would be helpful.

Thank you
Thorsten