[rhn-users] RH EL4 light install help needed.

Anthony Carmody carmoda at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 06:46:11 UTC 2007

Hi Everyone,

I'm a FreeBSD guy normally so be easy on me~!

I have half a dozen Dell 1950 servers with RHEL4 on them, the base
install (they come preloaded with) has 945 packages installed by default.

I want to deploy these servers with minimal packages on them, ideally
with Mod_Python, Apache2 and a few other packages only...

I have attempted to reinstall via the supplied Dell + RHEL4 installer
CD's but I never get the opportunity to select what i want installed and
what i don't want etc... i end up with over 1000 packages.. Installing
via RHEL4 disc's directly (not using the Dell system loader) fails when
it looks for a location to install, probably due to some incompatibility
with the on-board raid controller. It is a LSI megaraid card. It should
be supported but i am thinking it might be a very late chipset.

any suggestions or advice would really be appreciated.

--
Regards,

Anthony Carmody
p:	+61	(0) 414 417 457