[rhn-users] RHN List Membership

Tom Rivers tom at riverscomputers.com
Thu Jan 25 18:46:38 UTC 2007

Nick Thompson wrote:
> I agree as well.
>
> Nick

I think the point of this particular discussion has been lost.  Nobody
is saying that people who have questions should not be helped.  If
someone has said that, then I want to be on record as saying that is not
what I believe or is it what I think the vast majority of people on this
list believe either.  The problem is people who evidently don't bother
to read the description at the top of the web page used to sign up for
this list.  The page in question,
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rhn-users, explicitly says what
this list is about:

"This list is not intended for discussion about topics specific to Red
Hat Enterprise Linux that do not involve Red Hat Network. For discussion
of such topics, you may want to try..."

It even gives links to the lists for general questions for both RHEL V3
and V4.  So for anyone who is paying attention, the message is clear.
As for the argument that some people don't know what Red Hat Network
really is, the sentence above unambiguously says this list is NOT about
topics specific to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  Is that really so hard to
understand?  To me it seems obvious that anyone who has a specific
question regarding Red Hat Enterprise Linux should NOT expect to get
answers by joining this list.

Polite people don't just jump into a new community with the expectation
of getting answers to off-topic questions.  A polite person, faced with
the uncertainty of whether or not this list is the proper place for a
particular question, would ask for help finding the proper place to get
help.  Instead it seems commonplace that users who should have paid
attention to the overtly posted purpose of this list just jump right in
and start asking whatever question comes to mind.  That's fine, but to
expect NOT to be corrected for such obviously poor social and reading
comprehension skills is ridiculous.

As to the point "the whole purpose of lists like this was to help out
colleagues as well as get help for ourselves if needed", I don't
disagree.  "Lists like this" certainly do perform that function.
However you don't ask RHEL questions on an RHN list any more than you
would bring your Ford to the local Toyota mechanic.  There is a proper
place for all of these questions and it doesn't take a rocket scientist
to understand that.

The bottom line is that there are rules covering how this list operates
just like there are rules that govern almost every aspect of life.  If
you post off-topic, then you're breaking the rules.  If someone tells
you you're breaking the rules and you get upset that you were corrected,
grow up.  Following rules is the right thing to do and it is also the
polite thing to do.  That's really how simple this whole issue really is.

Tom