[rhn-users] proxying redhat updates

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 11:38:14 UTC 2007

Hiren Patel wrote:
> would a standard proxy like squid cache update packages from redhat if a
> machine was pointed to use it as a proxy? we currently use up2date with
> SSL and i am therefore suspecting that the rpms themselves are getting
> cached by the proxy, can anyone confirm this?

Yes, you can use normal proxy (like squid) to cache rpms. You can do it
by editing file /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date and change this options:
enableProxy[comment]=Use a HTTP Proxy
enableProxy=0
enableProxyAuth[comment]=To use an authenticated proxy or not
enableProxyAuth=0
httpProxy[comment]=HTTP proxy in host:port format, e.g.
squid.redhat.com:3128
httpProxy=

But normal proxy will not cache as much as RHN Proxy.
E.g: When you use normal proxy, rpms during kickstart is not cached.

--
Miroslav Suchy
RHN Sustaining Engineering, Red Hat