[rhn-users] proxying redhat updates

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 13:28:27 UTC 2007

Hiren Patel wrote:
> when using up2date with ssl, does up2date not use ssl for everything,
> including the download of the packages? would a standard proxy like
> squid not relay ssl traffic from client to server without caching
> anything?

When you send SSL request from client to squid, it is decoded (squid is
server for that machine) and again encoded and sent to rhn (squid is
client for rhn).
Caching is done as usually (do not cache POST request, ...).
When you use SSL, squid use SSL. When you do not use it, squid do not
use it too.
Make sure your squid is compiled with --enable-ssl.

Disclaimer: I've never done this specific configuration, I just know
from documentation, this should work.

--
Miroslav Suchy
RHN Sustaining Engineering, Red Hat