[rhn-users] cannot execute binary file

Pete Masse pete at chemistry.montana.edu
Tue Mar 6 05:36:53 UTC 2007

Hello,

I've run into some trouble lately when installing software on RHES ES 4
EM64 .  Newly installed executables will not execute.  Even when including
the entire path, I still get the error message "Cannot execute binary
file".  Permissions are 755, file is owned by root and belongs to the root
group.  I tried starting it from a non privileged user and still the same.
 SELinux has been disabled in an effort to try and debug this.  The
executables I am talking about are supposed to be compiled for 64 bit
Linux.

This has happened to two different executable files so far, and it seems
to me that I remember there being some security attribute that will not
allow executable files to run just anywhere or something like that.

Would anybody have any information on this?

Thanks in Advance
Pete