[rhn-users] Using an exisitng registration

Máirí­n Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Sat Mar 10 18:04:34 UTC 2007

Hi Mike,

MJang wrote:
> Dear Cliff,
>
> I appreciate your insight, but it didn't work. I checked again, and do
> have provisioning entitlements (currently filled). Any further advice
> that you might have would be appreciated.

Are those provisioning entitlements currently applied to the system you
are trying to reactivate? At the time of registration? How did you
generate the reactivation key?
> It seems like I had to enter the password at the console in clear text,
> which would have been bad if a shoulder surfer were around.

If you leave out the --password command line argument, it will prompt
you to enter a password in non-plain text after you hit enter.
> I ran (substituting for actual username, etc):
> # rhnreg_ks --username xxxxxx --password yyyyyyy --activationkey zzzzzzz
>
> Error Message:
>     Registration failed: RHN Software Management service entitlements
> exhausted
> Error Class Code: 91
> Error Class Info: Registration token unable to entitle system: maximum
> membership exceeded
Some questions:

 - Are you trying to register against a Satellite or rhn.redhat.com? If
Satellite, what version?

- What system entitlements (which of: Update / Management / Provisioning
/ Monitoring) are applied to the system you are trying to reactivate? If
you have provisioning applied with an update base system entitlement,
this system is trying to pick up a management entitlement upon
re-registration (see in the error message?)

- Do you have a universal default activation key set? If so, the default
activation key may trying to force the system into picking up a base
management entitlement if the system currently has update. Unset the
default activation key and try again.

- What version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the system you're trying
to reactivate running? If it's 2.1, you'll need to use
'--serialnumber=' as the command line argument rather than
'--activationkey='.

~m