[rhn-users] Re: installing more tan 2 linux OS(abhi)

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Wed Mar 14 18:45:40 UTC 2007

Abhi wrote:
>     I am using RHEL 4 and now i want to install SUSE10 and F6 on same
> machine,
> if anyone knows exact method to do this task plz post a reply.

FIRST, BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA
	FIRST, BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA
		FIRST, BACKUP ALL YOUR DATA

Make sure you have unallocated disk space on which to create partitions
for the new OS installs.  You will need a minimum (for a minimal text
only install) of about 1.5GB per OS.

But you probably want about 6GB (or more) per OS for a standard GUI
desktop install to play around with.  If you want to install LOTS of
stuff, you may need 10GB or more per OS just for the install.  And if
you are going to put pictures and music and games and stuff on there,
then you will want several more GB.

You may need to resize the existing RHEL4 partitions on the disk (or add
more disk) to ensure you have  empty space for the new OS installs

You can only resize your partitions if you have unused disk space.

To see your disks and the partitions use "fdisk -l"
To see the amount of each partition that is being used by RHEL4
use the command "df -h" while running RHEL4

You can resize partitions with a bootable KNOPPIX live CD:
http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

(YOU DID DO A BACKUP RIGHT?)

install the new OS's by booting from the CD/DVD install media and make
sure that you create new partitions in the empty space you now have.
(*do not* overwrite/reformat existing partitions used by your RHEL4
install).

I am fairly sure that SUSE10 and FC6 will setup the GRUB boot loader
with autodetection of the other bootable root's and when you are done
you will be able to boot the system, hit esc' when the flash screen
comes up, and select which OS you want from a menu.