[rhn-users] Is it safe to update the kernel packages?

Griff McClellan griffmcc at comcast.net
Tue Nov 6 02:24:15 UTC 2007

Hello,

I apologize if I am posting to the wrong mailing list, but this is the only one I have been able to successfully subscribe to.

Is it safe to update the kernel packages?

I have not updated my kernel packages because the person who helped me install Red Hat told me not to.  I don't remember the specific problems he mentioned, but he told me that updating the kernel would cause me all sorts of problems.  Is there any truth to what he said?

If I update my kernel will I lose any settings or personal data?

The reason I think I should update my kernel is because rhn.redhat.com tells me I have important kernel security updates pending.

I am using Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4).  I have kernel 2.6.9-42.EL on architecture i686.  I do my updates with up2date.

Thanks,
Griff