[rhn-users] Determining whether RHEL4 is registered?

Phil Edwards phil at linux2000.com
Thu Nov 8 13:50:49 UTC 2007

Timothy Kallinis wrote:

> If /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid exists then the system is registered
> otherwise it is not. Do you think this is sufficient? Also is the
> filename systemid or system_id? I don't have any registered systems at
> the moment, so I can't confirm this.

The other thing to watch out for if you're deploying from VMWare
templates (as I do) is that the RHEL install process creates a unique
UUID in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date-uuid - if you don't change this on
the machines which you deploy from your template, they'll all end up in
RHN with the same system id. To be fair, I've yet to see any evidence
that this causes a problem, but it offends my sysadmin 'neat and tidy'
detector. :-)

After deploying from your template, or in the postinst script for your
package, you should use uuidgen(1) to create a new system id and save it
into the up2date-uuid file.

--

Regards

Phil Edwards