[rhn-users] Avoiding Duplicate rhnuuid

Phil Edwards phil at linux2000.com
Fri Oct 19 11:36:32 UTC 2007

Hi All:

I have an auto-provisioning script which is run when a new server is
deployed from a template. Part of the processing this script does is to
call 'rhnreg_ks' to create a profile on RHN and then download/install
all the latest updates. Both of these steps appear to work correctly,
however I have noticed that /etc/sysconfg/rhn/up2date-uuid is not
getting updated, i.e. I now have 5 or 6 servers with the same uuid entry
in this file.

I'd assumed that the RHN registration process would generate a new uuid
after writing out /etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid, but obviously this isn;t
happening.

I have tried changing the up2date-uuid file so that the rhnuuid filed is
blanked out, i.e:

uuid[comment]=Universally Unique ID for this server
rhnuuid=

Running rhnreg_ks then creates a systemid file as expected, but the
rhnuuid stays blank.

Two question arise out of this.

Firstly, does it matter that I have servers on my network with duplicate
rhnuuid values?

Secondly, how can I re-generate the rhnuuid field held in the
up2date-uuid file?

--

Regards

Phil Edwards