[rhn-users] need to remove screen saver

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Wed Feb 13 07:55:48 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 05:05:23 Enils wrote:
> you'd be serving better this users' list by providing solutions for
> people who ask for them, rather than picking apart another user's post
> who offers solutions that work.

I did provide more solutions, but I believe technical inaccuracies should
always be corrected (even though I run Linux on all but one of the computers
I use, I don't believe Linux users should spread untruths about competing
products).

> When I talk about multiple X-sessions I am not referring to remote
> X-sessions. When you talk about multiple simultaneous users on windows
> you're thinking remote desktops.

No, I am not. I am referring to local sessions.

> Last I
> checked, you can't sit in front of a windows xp box and logon
> (physically not remotely) as 3-4-5-6 different users as you can on
> Linux.

This has been available since the initial release of Windows XP. Here is a
document from Microsoft describing the feature:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

This site has a screenshot:
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_beta2.asp

such as this one:
http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/winxp_2462_000b.gif
and this one:
http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/winxp_2462_media_035.gif

I am well aware that this has been possible under Linux since before the
release of Windows XP (as I used it myself in 2000, without the "Switch user"
menu options, with and without XDMCP etc.), I have also done development on
Linux-based products systems allowing multiple simultaneous local X sessions
on Linux, and that is one thing that Windows can't do natively (but, most
Linux distributions don't ship with the multi-head tools required to do this
by default anyway, and there are 3rd-party products for Windows that make
this possible).

But, now we are quite far off-topic.

Regards,
Buchan