[rhn-users] Critical system on RHN due to completed errata remaining at status "None" rather than "Completed"?

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Mon Feb 25 14:46:07 UTC 2008

Hi Wes,

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Homard-Roy Wes wrote:

> I am trying to set up a new RHEL 5 system but according to RHN, my
> system is a critical system and is out of date.

Did you install RHEL 5 and then register it to RHN just now?  Or has it
been registered for a while?  Do you have auto-apply-errata checked on the
RHN website or yum-updatesd configured locally?

> If I click on "Critical Updates Available (update now)", I am taken to
> the list of relevant errata most of which have a status of "None"
> although sometimes a handful have a status of "Pending" or "Failed" if I
> have recently scheduled an update. However the errata with the "None"
> status are all ones which I have previously scheduled and which
> completed successfully according to the details tab of their individual
> errata update pages. Should these not be at a status of "Completed" now
> and therefore not still appearing in the list of errata which I still
> need to apply?

Unfortunately, you can't rely on RHN to automatically schedule errata for
application.  You need to either setup yum-updatesd to automatically apply
new errata or run 'yum -y update' from cron.  If you are looking to get
your machine currently updated, you can run

yum -y update

from the command line.  That should get your system in an updated state.

> I have scheduled a "Package List Refresh" from RHN which completed
> successfully and also run rhn-profile-sync from the main machine in case
> things weren't synched properly.

That is always a good idea to make sure both sides are synced.

HTH,
   daryl