[rhn-users] Critical system on RHN due to completed errataremaining at status "None" rather than "Completed"?

Daryl Herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Mon Feb 25 15:54:17 UTC 2008

Hi Wes,

> # automatically install updates
> do_update = no
> # automatically download updates
> do_download = no
> # automatically download deps of updates
> do_download_deps = no
>
> Should I change some of those "no"'s to "yes"'s and if so do I need to
> restart anything after editing it?

Yes, you would want to change do_update for sure.  Check out the man page
for the configuration file:

man 5 yum-updatesd.conf

Yes, restarting is a good idea

service yum-updatesd restart

> Is my problem that although I schedule the errata to be applied at the
> RHN end (and they appear to be scheduled and completed), they then get
> sent to my machine but are not then actually being installed at my end
> so when a check is next made with RHN it doesn't think I've got them
> yet?

You will want to check your system's event history out on the website and
see why some packages failed.  You can also look at /var/log/up2date on
your local machine to see if any errors are appearing there.  Sometimes, I
have seen errors occur when you install RHEL5 Desktop+Workstation and then
only subscribe the system to the RHEL5 Desktop channel on RHN.  When the
system goes to update, it can't find necessary packages due to not being
subscribed to the proper channels.

daryl