[rhn-users] bare metal provisioning

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Wed Mar 19 20:09:03 UTC 2008

Hi Michael,

Michael Barrett wrote:
> All of that just talks about PXE boot and kickstart.  To say something
> does bare metal provisioning implies that the software can remotely
> trigger a boot on the hardware without an OS installed with the intent
> to install an operating system.

The product can absolutely do that, and it uses PXE and kickstart in
order to do so. You can align specific ip addresses or ranges to
particular kickstart profiles for ip-based customization, and use a
customized bootcd or PXE to point all booting baremetal systems to one
single Satellite address that then determines which kickstart file to
provide to the system base on Satellite-side configuration.

> That it has service processor
> knowledge.  (ie) it logs into the service process and issues the correct
> boot command when the user in the application (RHN satellite) selects
> that target (the service processor) and issues an OS provisioning job.

What do you mean by service processor? Is this something specific to
your hardware?

> Does RHN Satellite do any of that?  Or does it expect me to remotely
> trigger the PXE boot via the service processor outside of it?

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking enough to answer the
question.

~m