[rhn-users] how to get /r and /m in /etc/motd

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 22:11:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Christopher L. Barnard
<cbarnard at rush.edu> wrote:
> My /etc/motd has both \r and \m in it, but it is printed verbatim on
> login.  I'm guessing that these are `uname -r` and `uname -m`, but if I
> put those in the motd, even with the backquotes, it is still printed
> verbatim.  Since the out-of-the-box RH distrtibution has \r and \m in
> the /etc/motd (or /etc/issue; I don't recall) there must be a way to get
> them expanded to their actual values.  Has anyone managed to do this?

\r and \m are determined by the login program when it looks at
/etc/issue. It does not look at /etc/motd in the same way. So I
normally have /etc/issue with the \r and then if I have to have it in
/etc/motd do a cron job that keeps it up to date.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux