[rhn-users] Stay on minor release

Felipe Massia felmasper at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 20:00:54 UTC 2009

What's the difference? What really defines your system is 5.x or 5.y? The
redhat-release file in /etc or the set of packages you have installed? I
believe it's the set of packages.

Although some scripts check for a string in /etc/redhat-release, in fact
this is a way of telling if the set of packages you have installed is
compatible with the product being installed and prevent installation issues.

Some programs are dumb and check for "5.x" string instead of only "5". In
this case, one could overwrite the redhat-release to satisfy the script.
--
Felipe