[rhn-users] How to keep a yum repository up to date?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 15:28:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Grant Waters <gwaters1 at csc.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about yum repositories.
>
> I know how to register a server with RHN
> I know how to set up a Yum repository
> I know how to change my yum config so it points to the new yum repository
> instead of RHN.

There is something a little amusing about asking on the RHN support
list how to arrange things so you don't use RHN. There are a number of
options and which might be best in your particular case would depend
on your situation.

> BUT
>
> My yum repository was created by copying all the RPMs off my install media
> so it is a point in time effectively.
> How do I keep that yum repository up to date?  How can I ensure those RPMs
> are always the latest ones?
>
> Would yumdownloader or yum-downloadonly be what I need - if so how can I
> set that up (in cron) to refresh my repo?

Some of you options include:

* RHN Satellite Server
* RHN Proxy Server
* Spacewalk
* mrepo
* reposync or other yum tools to download the files locally

John