[rhn-users] rsync? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Wayper paulway at sgs.immi.gov.au
Sun Aug 29 23:39:08 UTC 2010

On 30/08/10 00:57, gregwm wrote:
> alas the md5sum -c fails for the rhel5 dvd i downloaded.  must i do
> the entire download again?  is there a way to do an rsync instead, or
> something like it, that would check my copy and send me just the
> needed differences?

This is another reason in support of my argument that Red Hat should
provide BitTorrent downloads for the RHEL5 media.  I agree that many
corporate firewalls may not currently allow BitTorrent, but it would
allow reliable downloads and simple synchronisation in cases where the
download failed for some reason.

In the short term, have you checked that the file is the same size as
listed?  You may have just not got the last couple of kilobytes.  If you
know of a particular point in the download that failed, try truncating
the file just before that point and let wget -c resume the download.

A hybrid long-term solution would be for Red Hat to provide a program
that takes a torrent file and an existing ISO and checks the blocks in
the ISO against the torrent file's block md5sums.  It could then use
segmented downloading to fetch only the blocks in which errors had been
found.  (This is a useful project for everyone - I wonder if it's
already been done).

Have fun,

Paul

--
Paul Wayper - Gateway Engineer - Unisys
02 6225 8057 - 0422 392 081 - Level 1, 9 Thynne St, Bruce