[rhn-users] Characters Not Displayed

Mc Kiernan Daniel Kian Mc_Kiernan at Oeconomist.com
Tue Dec 14 11:49:25 UTC 2010

Prior to my migrating from RHEL 5.5 to 6.0, when I used characters
U+223b, U+227b, U+227f, U+2280 in formulae coded within OpenOffice
Math (the formula editor) of OpenOffice 3.2.1, the document displayed
these when viewed in OpenOffice, and an exported PDF displayed these
when viewed with Acrobat readers.

Now, when the very same version of OpenOffice is used in RHEL 6.0,
these character becomes invisible both in .ODTs and in .PDFs.  This
problem obtains, in fact, whether I use the distribution of OpenOffice
supplied by OpenOffice.org or that provided by Red Hat.

I don't know whether this problem obtains from changes in fontconfig,
from a change in the installed set of fonts, or from some other source.

That documentation and discussion which I have encountered of
fontconfig does not clearly distinguish character-wise fallback from
wholesale substitution of one font for another, let alone provide a
clear guide as to how to diagnose my present problem.