[rhn-users] Registering guests of ESX 3.5

Peter C. Lai peter at simons-rock.edu
Fri Feb 19 15:02:35 UTC 2010

Not supported.

RHN supports virtual machine registration for an RHEL guest running under
RHEL virtualization (xen or kvm). This is in order to support the standard
RHEL agreement which provides 4 "free" RHEL VM registrations per RHEL
virtualization host.

Running an RHEL installation under VMware host will, and should, make that
RHEL host show up as a normal RHEL machine.

On 2010-02-18 07:46:50PM -0600, Neale Ferguson wrote:
> I'm trying to determine the process of registering our ESX 3.5 hosts with
> RHN so that we can register the individual guests using up2date --register
> and have them appear under the "Virtual Systems" category. However, I'm not
> seeing the forest for the trees as I can't work out how to go about this.
> The RHN knowledgebase gives some steps (DOC-9933) but the all-important one
> - registering the host - is simply given as:
>
> 1. The host system (dom0) must be register with Red Hat Network. Follow
> standard procedures to register this system with RHN.
>
> This is the step I need help with.
>
> Thanks... Neale

Peter C. Lai                 | Bard College at Simon's Rock
Systems Administrator        | 84 Alford Rd.
Information Technology Svcs. | Gt. Barrington, MA 01230 USA
peter AT simons-rock.edu     | (413) 528-7428