[rhn-users] RedHat will no longer use rhn-outage-list, why?

daryl herzmann akrherz at iastate.edu
Thu Mar 31 13:15:01 UTC 2011

Howdy,

After the recent outages with RHN hosted (most recent being on the 28th),
I inquired with Red Hat GSS on why Red Hat no longer announces outages on
the rhn-outage-list list.  The mailman page has:

rhn-outage-list -- Announcements Related to RHN Service Interruptions

The GSS response was:
   "outage emails have been stopped intentionally for business reason"

Okay, I suspect we can't be told what that business reason is either.
Would anybody on this list care to clarify the outage notification policy?

This page here appears to be wrong given the above.

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/Red_Hat_Network/Outage_Policy/index.html

" Red Hat Network will send a notification through the mailing list (see
   below) in advance of unscheduled maintenance whenever possible. In the
   event that we are unable to send advance notification of unscheduled
   maintenance, we recommend that you contact Customer Service for
   additional details."

Which means GSS will tell you that they can't tell you what happened!

daryl