[rhos-list] Optimizing IT: Red Hat Virtual Event

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 12:58:28 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 06:47 PM, Angus Salkeld wrote:
> On 05/12/12 17:24 -0500, Daniel Dumitriu wrote:
>> Hi,... everyone!
>>
>> Well, all this sounds very interesting...
>>
>> Because I am, actually, using Oz to create my images for Nova... Of
>> course, that doesn't say much because it's, still, a manual process with
>> no integration.
>>
>> Perry, this is how things may happen, eventually - and I could be wrong
>> (I'm known to do that, a lot):
>>
>> - somebody (Oz ?) creates images for VMs AND kickstarts for physicals;
>> - somebody (Foreman ?) provisions physicals;
>> - somebody (Foreman ? Heat ?) manages server profiles (templates ?);
>> - somebody (Nova with Glance) provisions VMs;
>> - somebody (Heat?) manages/orchestrates the aggregation of
>>  profiles (templates) and pushes them as schedules to Nova or
>>  Foreman...
>>
>> Except... there's a lot of overlapping, which it is understandable,
>> given the origins of each project.
>

> Yea, there is a heap of overlap. All are trying to focus on something
> a bit different.
> - I believe Foreman is focused on baremetal (I am not up-to-date on the
> project tho')
> - ImageFactory and Aeolus is focused on being cloud neutral
> - Heat is focused on tight integration with OpenStack.

Speaking for Ohad... I would go that Foreman is about build based
provisioning on top of a JeOS, either in bare metal or in the cloud. How
that JeOs gets there (kickstart, image, jumpstart) is not really
relevant. Today, Fog is used to communicate with virt backends. I think
they are about 10 lines away from OpenStack support right now.

-- bk