[rhos-list] Red Hat Distribution OpenStack (RDO)

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Thu Apr 18 16:28:06 UTC 2013

On 04/17/2013 10:40 AM, Ronald Cronenwett wrote:
> I saw this was announced at the Openstack Summit. Does that mean the
> RHOS beta preview is ending?Or will the RHOS entitlement be updated to
> Grizzly? Just curious which way I should go with some test systems I've
> set up. The latest I've been working with was to implement Grizzly from
> EPEL on a Centos 6.4 rebuild.But I still have my RHEL systems that came
> with the preview running Folsom.

Good questions :)

Let me outline our release cadence in detail, starting with RHOS 1.0.
That might make things more clear.

Aug 2012: RHOS 1.0 Preview (Essex) available for RHEL 6.3 hosts
Nov 2012: RHOS 2.0 Preview (Folsom) available for RHEL 6.3 hosts
Feb 2013: RHOS 2.1 Preview (Folsom) available for RHEL 6.4 hosts
Apr 2013: RHOS 2.1 released as limited availability via our early
          adopter program

All of the above releases were made available through an evaluation
program, which you can sign up for on http://redhat.com/openstack

Even though RHOS 2.1 is released (and therefore the Preview is ended),
you can still sign up for evaluation licenses and get access to the
official packages (and updates) that way.  And your existing evaluation
with access to the RHOS 2.1 Preview repository seamlessly should
transition to the formal RHOS 2.1 channel (in fact, the channel is the same)

Apr 2013: RDO Grizzly available for EL 6.4+ hosts (and F18)

What we will do in the next few weeks, is take the RDO Grizzly EL
packages as a starting point, to create a RHOS 3.0 Preview.

So initially RDO Grizzly for EL and RHOS 3.0 will be the same.  RDO
Grizzly will march forward, absorbing updates from the Grizzly upstream
stable branches.

RHOS 3.0 Preview will also march forward, absorbing updates from the
upstream Grizzly stable branches, but it will also selectively
incorporate patches from the upstream trunk (Havana) for bug fixes and
enhancements that are not invasive.

When we release RHOS 3.0 GA later this summer (approx Aug 2013), the
RHOS 3.0 Preview will end and be replaced by the GA packages.

But even after RHOS 3.0 transitions from Preview to GA, we'll still
provide the process to sign up for evaluation licenses.

One comment on this:
> The latest I've been working with was to implement Grizzly from
> EPEL on a Centos 6.4 rebuild

Grizzly is not in EPEL.  It's only available via the repositories as
part of the RDO community.  The packages in EPEL are still Folsom based,
and there are no plans to update those to Grizzly.

Let me know if those clarifications help, or if you have follow up
questions :)

Perry