[rhos-list] RHOS and Ceph

Paul Robert Marino prmarino1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 13:42:13 UTC 2013

look storage is rated by 5 categories at most you get good ratings on any
storage device on 2 maybe 3 on an above average implementation.
1) ease of implementation
2) speed
3) economy of cost
4) density
5) flexibility

speed also comes in two categories
1) IO operations per second
2) shear bandwidth

As far as the vendor lock in goes thats the whole point of the abstraction
in openstack.
You can buy a different SAN or NAS device from one year to the next and it
will be transparent to the users of the storage. or if you want you can
make your own as long as there is a driver in openstack for it. Support
vendors can't try to do every thing or they will do nothing well. Ceph is a
non option right now for Redhat and frankly if It was included I would
expect to be able to file a bug report on any issues I had with it and
follow up with a support ticket to get the problem fixed so in responce to
an earlier statement "Simply enabling support for it is not the same as
supporting it" YES IT DOES.