[rhos-list] Installing Openstack Essex on isolated RHEL 6.2 cluster

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 04:00:42 UTC 2013

On 02/04/2013 08:29 AM, Kodiak Firesmith wrote:
> Hello All,
> I can't speak for the requirements of essex over folsom part of your question,
> but I can cautiously assert that "Essex" is available for RHEL6 still via EPEL
> repos based on a table of versions here:
> http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/openstack-compute/install/yum/content/version.html#d6e297
>
> ...and the output of a yum query this morning from my EL6 workstation:
>
> # yum --showduplicates search openstack-nova-compute
>  N/S Matched: openstack-nova-compute
> openstack-nova-compute-2012.1.1-15.el6.noarch : OpenStack Nova Virtual Machine
> control service
> openstack-nova-compute-2012.1.3-1.el6.noarch : OpenStack Nova Virtual Machine
> control service  <-[Essex]
> openstack-nova-compute-2012.2-2.el6.noarch : OpenStack Nova Virtual Machine
> control service  <- [Folsom]
>
> # yum info openstack-nova-compute-2012.1.3-1.el6.noarch
> Name        : openstack-nova-compute
> Arch        : noarch
> Version     : 2012.1.3
> Release     : 1.el6
> Repo        : epel-x86_64-server-6

Yes, if you use --showduplicates it will show you older versions of the
same package.

Adding the Folsom RPMs to the EPEL6 repos in a sense overwrote the Essex
versions since a simple yum install will always pull the latest packages
only.

But the packages are certainly still available for download if you get
very specific and include the NVR or just download them via a wget from
an online repo :)

Also it should be noted, that the RHOS Preview includes both Essex and
Folsom repositories, but we definitely recommend that folks use Folsom
at this point.

Perry