[rhos-list] Nova-network v.s. Quantum in Openstack preview

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 20:53:14 UTC 2013

On 02/05/2013 03:45 PM, Shixiong Shang (shshang) wrote:
> Hi, experts:
>
> I am trying to install Redhat Openstack 2.0 (Folsom) preview on RHEL 6.4
> beta. According to the Getting Started Guide, I can use "packstack" tool
> to automate the installation. However, I noticed that a few parameters
> in the tool still refer to "nove-network" as shown below.
>
> CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_HOST
> CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_PUBIF
> CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_PRIVIF
> CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_FIXEDRANGE
> CONFIG_NOVA_NETWORK_FLOATRANGE
>
> Does that mean the setup will still run on top of nova-network, or
> nova-network will use quantum client plugin to communicate with Quantum
> server?
>
> In addition, I don't see any quantum related parameters are included in
> the tool. When will it be available?

Right now, PackStack only supports Nova Networking.  We will eventually
have support for Quantum in PackStack, but that support is not completed
yet.

So if you specifically need to use Quantum, you would need to:
* Use PackStack to install w/ Nova Networking
* Manually convert from Nova Networking to Quantum

Gary (cc'd) has a draft process for this, but it is still a little shaky.

Gary can you share that process?  Perhaps Shixiong can try it out and
give us feedback on whether it works for him or not.

> Furthermore, does the tool support sub interface with VLAN TAGGING
> enabled, such as eth2.277?

I don't think so, but Derek would need to confirm.  I think this would
be a feature enhancement.

Perry