[rhos-list] Quantum or Nova in RHOS

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 14:07:20 UTC 2013

On 03/27/2013 03:47 PM, Perry Myers wrote:
> Adding the Quantum developers to provide more detail here
>
> On 03/22/2013 07:33 PM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
>> There are a few features in nova network that haven't been split off yet
>> that are slated the be released in a different component in the next
>> release of OpenStack (grizzly) such as the custom DNS functions.

The DNS support is not contained in Grizzly release of Quantum. There is
a project called Monica but at the moment there is no move to include
this into Quantum - I am hoping that it will be done at the up and
coming summit. If so it might be available in the Havana release.
>> As far as Open vSwitch originally there was something missing (interface
>> naming) from RHEL's version of the kernel which has been added to the
>> latest 6.x release and it should work now if you are running the latest
>> version of RHEL 6.

The RHOS 2.1 will not support tunneling. My understanding is that this
is in the works.

>> -- Sent from my HP Pre3

>> On Mar 22, 2013 9:49 AM, Ted Brunell<tbrunell at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just have a couple of quick questions about the network stack that
>> will be included in RHOS when it comes out of preview.
>>
>> When the RHOS is released, will it include Quantum + Open vSwitch or
>> will nova-network be the preferred network stack? The current preview
>> docs seem to indicate that Quantum is the route that Red Hat is going.

I think that this is the way that upstream is going. At the up and
coming summit there will be a number of talks about the move. I guess
that we can provide some more upstream details after the summit.
> RHOS 2.1 will contain both Quantum and Nova Network, just as upstream
> Folsom and Grizzly contain both of these.
>
> We won't remove Nova Network from RHOS releases until upstream has
> completely converted to Quantum and they have deprecated Nova Network
> usage, so it may be a few more releases until we get to that point.
>
> Nova Networking is definitely the more mature of the two components, and
> in the absence of a specific need for a feature that Quantum provides, I
> think at this point we would steer users to Nova Networking.
>
>> If nova is used, will there be an upgrade path to Quantum or will it
>> require a large amount of re-engineering of deployed RHOS systems to get
>> it working?
> There is a manual process for converting from Nova Networking to
> Quantum, but it is definitely a bit labor intensive and would likely
> require taking down the cloud to be offline for the conversion.
>
> We have some of this on the Fedora wiki:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenStack
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Quantum
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Quantum_Converting_Plugins
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packstack_to_Quantum
>
> The Packstack to Quantum stuff is covered in part by the official docs
> as well (on docs.redhat.com)
>
>> Are there any limitations with Quantum right now that make it not on par
>> with nova-network?
> Yes.  I'll let the Quantum developers provide a checklist here

This is one major limitation regarding the parity - there is no
multihost support - that is, in nova you can have floating ip support
from all compute nodes. In Quantum there is s single point of failure
for the floating IP support - the l3 agent. The HA and scalability of
this are only going to be dealt with in Havana. The foundations were
laid in Grizzly.

Other than that Quantum has a richer feature set that Nova.