[rhos-list] Documentation for RHEV and RHCI

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Thu Mar 5 15:50:31 UTC 2015

On 03/05/2015 06:37 AM, Perry Myers wrote:
> On 03/05/2015 09:27 AM, Stephen Drotar wrote:
>> Can you provide the documentation to install OpenStack on rhel 6.5?
>
> http://docs.redhat.com
> which will get you to:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/
>
>> I was told installing IPA is the route to install OpenStack.
>
> Not as far as I know.
>
> You can use IPA as a backend for Keystone certainly, but IPA isn't
> required for RHEL OSP

Perry is correct that IPA is not required for running RHEL OSP.  IPA
does provide a number of nice features that can help to secure and
enhance your RHEL OSP deployment though.  In particular, it offers:

- Centralized storage of users and groups via LDAP, with multi-master
replication for failover/HA (usable for application login, system login,
ad RHEL OSP login).

- Certificate Authority for issuing X.509 certificates to enable RHEL
OSP components for TLS.

In general, IPA is ideal for controlling the authentication and
authorization for the underlying infrastructure of RHEL OSP (access to
the RHEL systems itself, and handling authentication and identity
information for RHEL OSP).

>> Steve
>> Web developer
>>

>> On Mar 5, 2015, at 6:33 AM, Perry Myers <pmyers at redhat.com
>> <mailto:pmyers at redhat.com>> wrote:

I'm unclear on which host name it's not resolving without more of the
installation output (or the IPA installation log file).  Are you
specifying a hostname for the DNS forwarder?  If so, you should be using
an IP address.

It does sound like you're hitting some basic issue, and it would be a
good idea to engage with support (if you are using RHEL with a
subscription) or the FreeIPA community (freeipa-users at redhat.com).

I have some automation scripts that I use for building IPA + RDO POC
environments that might prove useful in showing the steps used to
install and configure things.  Scripts for a multi-domain Keystone setup
using RDO Juno on CentOS 7 (which translates well to RHEL OSP 6) are
available here:

  https://github.com/nkinder/rdo-vm-factory/tree/master/rdo-domain-setup

The script that performs installation of an IPA server is here:

https://github.com/nkinder/rdo-vm-factory/blob/master/rdo-domain-setup/vm-post-cloud-init-ipa.sh

The script that performs installation of RDO and configures it to use
IPA is available here:

https://github.com/nkinder/rdo-vm-factory/blob/master/rdo-domain-setup/vm-post-cloud-init-rdo.sh

Note that these scripts are designed to work with my whole automation
framework that is in that git repository, so you can't just take those
scripts and run them on your system without some slight tweaking.  I
would recommend just looking at the steps and running them manually on
your systems to get a good idea of how everything is wired together.
Hopefully these can help you move forward with your installation.

Thanks,
-NGK