[rhos-list] Openstack

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Tue Mar 10 17:25:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 12:18:13PM -0500, Stephen wrote:
> I'd like to install openstack on a bare metal server but would need
> to split the compute storage and network node within the server.
> Can VMware workstation solve this...

You can certainly use virtualization to split up the server.  You will
want to make sure that the compute service itself (nova-compute) is
running on bare metal in order to get the best performance, but most
of the control plane software can run happily in a virtual
environment.

I don't know that VMware's Workstation product is really appropriate
for this, but I'm not all that familiar with VMware, so don't put too
much weight in that opinion.

You could obviously also use Linux's native virtualization support
(libvirt + KVM) to achieve the same thing.

> and would this handle at the least
> 5000 transactions?

That would probably depend entirely on your hardware and what exactly
comprises "a transaction".  If you are trying to run all of OpenStack
on a single server, I would venture to say that performance is not
really a big concern.

If you want to maximize the performance of your OpenStack environment,
you really want to dedicate physical harware to your compute service,
and you probably want to offload i/o intenstive storage tasks as well.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | http://blog.oddbit.com/