Re: hard drive ticks every five seconds

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 11:57:39AM -0600, Calvin Dodge wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 09:31:22AM -0400, Eric Wood wrote:
> > I've noticed with Roswell that the hard drive chirps every five seconds.  I
> > suspect that this is ext3's way of syncing the disks.  Is there a way I can
> > tell if linux/ext3 is doing this?   It didn't chirp like this under 7.1.
>
> I'm not at a Roswell-based system right now, but I do recall a startup message mentioning journaling and a 5-second period.
>
> So my money is on ext3 journalling as the culprit.

Yes, ext3 does have a 5-second commit interval, but that's not _every_
five seconds: there's a commit timer which starts off when you modify
the filesystem, and it forces a commit to start within five seconds of
that modification.  An idle system shouldn't be committing all the
time.

Now, it may well be ext3 causing this, but if so, it's a bug.
However, just doing an IO profile on a couple of boxes here, I can see
20 second intervals with no IO at all (with all filesystems running
ext3), so it's definitely not something which is happening on all ext3
systems.

It would be worth checking /var/log for recently-modified files, eg

	ls -lt /var/log/ | head

and see if there are any log files being updated constantly.

Cheers,
 Stephen