Re: Building RPM Packages as non-root

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Michal Moskal wrote:

>> Create a file ~/.rpmmacros comtaining something like this
>>
>>     %_topdir        /home/username/RPM
>>
>> Then create the dirs under ~/RPM
>>
>>     mkdir -p ~/RPM/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
>>
>> Eventually You need to create som more dir  if rpm complains about some
>> nonexistent dir.
>
>Sure, and you need to hack 1/2 of specs out there that use install -m
>or sth like this :>
>Some ditros did it a long time ago (hint: PLD), some didn't.

All Red Hat Linux RPM's should build as non-root.  I do all my
development non-root, and as far as I know everyone else here
does too.  The final build is done as root however I don't
believe it needs to be.  I've never encountered any problems
building our RPM's as user mharris.  A number of random RPM's on
the net however are definitely broken.

    Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Free Software advocate
          This message is copyright 2001, all rights reserved.
  Views expressed are my own, not necessarily shared by my employer.
Fun thing to do as root, in the root directory:
chmod -R 666 *
Just as bad as rm -rf *, but more fun.
"The files are all there, but I can't do anything with them!"
And you can't change permissions, since chmod isn't executable either. :-)