[scl.org] Custom software collection building process

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Fri Aug 15 14:14:05 UTC 2014

On 08/15/2014 12:19 PM, Dmitrijs Milajevs wrote:

> I have the following problem. At a computing server at my university centos 6.5 is installed. The software I wish to run
> there requires recent versions of python3, numpy, scipy. Manually compiling python and pip-installing is too difficult.
> I would like to:
>
> 1. create a custom software collection that depends on python33 provided by centos.
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/SCL
 > 2. however, they don't provide numpy and scipy. So I would like to add these packages to my collection.

Please read:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Developer_Toolset/2/html/Software_Collections_Guide/chap-Extending_Red_Hat_Software_Collections.html

> 3. add other packages, e.g. seaborn http://web.stanford.edu/~mwaskom/software/seaborn/
> <http://web.stanford.edu/%7Emwaskom/software/seaborn/>

You have to create those packages from scratch.

> Ideally, the collection should be available on softwarecollections.org <http://softwarecollections.org>, so I could give
> admins a couple of commands to install it.

Once you have srpm, you have to build it in Copr and then import into softwarecollections.org. See:
https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/docs/add-to-catalogue/

> Could you explain the basic workflow. As I understand, I whould have a collecton .spec file and then .spec files for
> packages. To build them, should the spec files be located in ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES? Why then
> https://git.centos.org/summary/?r=rpms/python33-numpy.git is a dedicated repository? How can I rebuild that package?

See
https://git.centos.org/summary/centpkg.git
Then
centpkg clone python33-numpy
cd python33-numpy
git checkout c7
yum install python33-build scl-utils-build
centpkg local

> As you see, I'm very new to building and creating RPMs.

Then I would suggest you to start with simpler packages.
   http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ch-rpm-build.html
This is good start point ^

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCE, RHCDS