[scl.org] sclorg vs. CentOS SCL-release

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Jun 17 10:43:45 UTC 2014

On 06/16/2014 10:07 PM, Eugene Vilensky wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 2:24 AM, Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com
> <mailto:msuchy at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     To be more precise: softwarecollections.org
>     <http://softwarecollections.org> is inteded to be tracking site for
>     upstream of all SCLs.
>     In the same meaning as rubygems.org <http://rubygems.org> is for
>     Ruby modules, CPAN for Perl modules.
>     Most of the collections are from user "rhscl", but other users are
>     encouraged to create and upload their own collections.
>

> This all sounds like a great project, and thanks to everyone involved.
>   If I may ask about Python27 and mod_wsgi specifically, it seems to
> require httpd24 SCL?  Is that an SCL policy, that they wouldn't be built
> against things available in base?

Compatibility of binary connectors is tricky, because they often may
support only one version at a time. It is also obvious that we are not
capable of preparing all combinations.

So, when a component (which the connector is built against; httpd in
this case) exists in both, base system (Fedora, RHEL) and other
available SCL, we suppose people would like to use the newer version of
that component (the one from the SCL), thus compiling to SCL has often
priority. It is not a strict rule though.

Anyway, in case somebody needs a connector for older component, there is
a possibility to extend the Python27 SCL by a new package with the
connector that is built against httpd from core RHEL.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Honza