Re: [scl.org] sclorg vs. CentOS SCL-release

On 06/16/2014 10:07 PM, Eugene Vilensky wrote:

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 2:24 AM, Miroslav Suchý <msuchy redhat com
<mailto:msuchy redhat com>> wrote:

    To be more precise: softwarecollections.org
    <http://softwarecollections.org> is inteded to be tracking site for
    upstream of all SCLs.
    In the same meaning as rubygems.org <http://rubygems.org> is for
    Ruby modules, CPAN for Perl modules.
    Most of the collections are from user "rhscl", but other users are
    encouraged to create and upload their own collections.

This all sounds like a great project, and thanks to everyone involved.
  If I may ask about Python27 and mod_wsgi specifically, it seems to
require httpd24 SCL?  Is that an SCL policy, that they wouldn't be built
against things available in base?

Compatibility of binary connectors is tricky, because they often may support only one version at a time. It is also obvious that we are not capable of preparing all combinations.

So, when a component (which the connector is built against; httpd in this case) exists in both, base system (Fedora, RHEL) and other available SCL, we suppose people would like to use the newer version of that component (the one from the SCL), thus compiling to SCL has often priority. It is not a strict rule though.

Anyway, in case somebody needs a connector for older component, there is a possibility to extend the Python27 SCL by a new package with the connector that is built against httpd from core RHEL.

Hope that helps.

Regards,