[scl.org] Why you will hear CentOS here more

Will Yardley wby at veggiechinese.net
Fri Oct 31 20:03:15 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 05:29:57PM +0100, Honza Horak wrote:
> Stay tuned for details, express your feelings about this change or
> suggest us some other things missing on softwarecollections.org.

I think there should be an easier way to include stuff from SCL in
$PATH. Right now, it's pretty easy to source /opt/rh/foo/enable in
/etc/profile.d for bourne-compatible shell users, but it should at least
include a csh compatible equivalent, and ideally, a simple way to set
the default version of something.

Alternately, I think it would be preferable to do something like
what 'modules' (http://modules.sourceforge.net/) does, where you can do
'module load foo/1.3'.

The current strategy of running 'scl enable foo ...' or 'scl enable foo
bash' is a huge pain, and also becomes a much bigger hassle when using
multiple collections.