[scl.org] Removing 'scls' from %{_sysconfdir} and %{_localstatedir}?

Remi Collet rcollet at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 15:09:21 UTC 2015

Le 26/02/2015 13:02, Honza Horak a écrit :
> Latest scl-utils define the following paths if %{nfsmountable} macro is
> defined:
>
>   %{_sysconfdir}    expands to /etc/opt/<vendor>/scls/<sclname>
>   %{_localstatedir} expands to /var/opt/<vendor>/scls/<sclname>
>
> (see the 'scls' part) but the rest files don't use 'scls', e.g.:
>
>   %{_bindir}        expands to /opt/<vendor>/<sclname>
>
> (no 'scls' in the path).
>
> I've heard a serious critic of this *inconsistency* today from our QE --
> using 'scls' under /etc/opt and /var/opt, but not in /opt. And I admit I
> agree with them, even though I haven't paid much attention to that
> inconsistency before.
>
> This 'scls' part probably comes from the Fedora draft [1], but realize
> that in that draft 'scls' is also used under /opt/<vendor>.

Yes, I also think this is related to this old draft.

> I can't find any reasoning for this 'scls' directory, I can only assume
> it was used to distinguish SCL technology from other possible
> technologies utilizing /opt in the future.
>
> My opinion is we don't need this distinguishing at all.
>
> Software Collections are just a delivery mechanism, to place files into
> a unique structure, separated based on the *collection name*. If we
> don't need to separate SCLs by any 'scl' keyword on RPM packages names
> (i.e. we don't call collections with scl-colname, at least not now), we
> don't need to do it on filesystem level either.
>
> On the other hand, if we find out in the future, that this
> distinguishing is necessary, we'll need to do it not only in the files
> paths, but also in the RPM names, so the 'scl' would need to be used in
> the collection name itself.. At any case, 'scls' should be removed from
> the paths /etc/opt/ and /var/opt/.

I also prefer to drop this 'scls' from /etcopt and /var/opt (rather than
adding it to /opt/rh path)

NOTICE: I hope this will not become another blocker if we plan to submit
against SCL Guildelines to FPC... perhaps we should ask FPC.

Remi;

> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Toshio/SCL_Guidelines_%28draft%29
>
> Honza

rcollet at redhat.com | Senior Software Engineer / BaseOS / WebStack team
GPG Key: 0x29F16A18
Fingerprint: 5A0E 6F54 D94D 5732 69EE  E3FF 614A 6905 29F1 6A18