Re: [scl.org] Component name in non-RH dist-gits

On 02/17/2015 12:17 PM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
On 02/17/2015 08:52 AM, Honza Horak wrote:
I'm thinking about repositories and branches structure in CentOS a bit
again.

Currently, there are two ways how components names and branches are
maintained in SCL world:

A) collection name in branch name
we use component name without prefix in dist-git and branches for
specific collections internally in RH, so e.g. mariadb has branches for
mariadb55-*, rh-mariadb100-*, etc..

B) collection name in dist-git repository name
For RHSCL RPMs that are automatically imported into
https://git.centos.org [1], components *use* prefix in repository names
and static set of branches. For example mariadb55-mariadb component
includes branches 'master' and 'c7' [1]. This way seems easier for
dist-git administration and also seems to be preferred way in Fedora [2].

Since we can always add remote branches in (B) and merge/cherry-pick
from those as easy as we can in (A), my question is:

Git is very flexible in this aspect. You can have one local repo with
many remotes and vice versa - one remote repo with multiple per-SCL
local repos. You can rename local branches too according to your needs.

"Are there any practical advantages of (A)?"

One I can think of is that you can easily guess Koji build target from
branch name.

It seems CentOS guys are fine with this approach as well, the rpms imported into centos won't be actually used for building, we'll be able to use either way.

I don't see any, but I see some advantages of (B) though, since it seems
to be more consumable to use the same approach (B) in all public repos
and only use (A) internally only for historic reasons.

Does it make sense to you as well?
[no response means yes to me :) ]

I personally slightly prefer A (maybe just because I'm used to it), but
I think that both approaches are good, as long as spec files are named
as they are now. It's important to keep the same names across different
repos for easier merging.

Sure, this will need to be kept.