Re: [scl.org] Removing 'scls' from %{_sysconfdir} and %{_localstatedir}?

On 02/26/2015 01:18 PM, Lubos Kardos wrote:
Have a look at bug #1066665 especially at comment 8.

Ok, that's what I supposed, but see that the comment speaks about /opt/fedora/scls as well, which is not in scl-utils. So, what we have now is some half-way solution.

Another possibility is to add 'scls' to /opt/rh/<sclname> in case %nfsmountable is defined.

Honza

Lubos

----- Original Message -----
From: "Honza Horak" <hhorak redhat com>
To: sclorg redhat com, "Lubos Kardos" <lkardos redhat com>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 1:02:36 PM
Subject: Removing 'scls' from %{_sysconfdir} and %{_localstatedir}?

Latest scl-utils define the following paths if %{nfsmountable} macro is
defined:

    %{_sysconfdir}    expands to /etc/opt/<vendor>/scls/<sclname>
    %{_localstatedir} expands to /var/opt/<vendor>/scls/<sclname>

(see the 'scls' part) but the rest files don't use 'scls', e.g.:

    %{_bindir}        expands to /opt/<vendor>/<sclname>

(no 'scls' in the path).

I've heard a serious critic of this *inconsistency* today from our QE --
using 'scls' under /etc/opt and /var/opt, but not in /opt. And I admit I
agree with them, even though I haven't paid much attention to that
inconsistency before.

This 'scls' part probably comes from the Fedora draft [1], but realize
that in that draft 'scls' is also used under /opt/<vendor>.

I can't find any reasoning for this 'scls' directory, I can only assume
it was used to distinguish SCL technology from other possible
technologies utilizing /opt in the future.

My opinion is we don't need this distinguishing at all.

Software Collections are just a delivery mechanism, to place files into
a unique structure, separated based on the *collection name*. If we
don't need to separate SCLs by any 'scl' keyword on RPM packages names
(i.e. we don't call collections with scl-colname, at least not now), we
don't need to do it on filesystem level either.

On the other hand, if we find out in the future, that this
distinguishing is necessary, we'll need to do it not only in the files
paths, but also in the RPM names, so the 'scl' would need to be used in
the collection name itself.. At any case, 'scls' should be removed from
the paths /etc/opt/ and /var/opt/.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Toshio/SCL_Guidelines_%28draft%29