Re: [scl.org] Removing 'scls' from %{_sysconfdir} and %{_localstatedir}?

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 01:02:36PM +0100, Honza Horak wrote:
> Latest scl-utils define the following paths if %{nfsmountable} macro is
> defined:
>
>   %{_sysconfdir}    expands to /etc/opt/<vendor>/scls/<sclname>
>   %{_localstatedir} expands to /var/opt/<vendor>/scls/<sclname>
>
> (see the 'scls' part) but the rest files don't use 'scls', e.g.:
>
>   %{_bindir}        expands to /opt/<vendor>/<sclname>
>
> (no 'scls' in the path).
> My opinion is we don't need this distinguishing at all.
>
> Software Collections are just a delivery mechanism, to place files into a
> unique structure, separated based on the *collection name*. If we don't need
> to separate SCLs by any 'scl' keyword on RPM packages names (i.e. we don't
> call collections with scl-colname, at least not now), we don't need to do it
> on filesystem level either.

I agree.  Since the <vendor> will already own the namespace with their
portion of /{var,etc}/opt anyway, there is surely no great concern for
collisions; the onus will be on the vendor to ensure whatever name used
is unique.  SCLs are not special in this sense, as you say.

Regards, Joe