Re: [scl.org] Removing 'scls' from %{_sysconfdir} and %{_localstatedir}?

On 02/26/2015 05:22 PM, Joe Orton wrote:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 01:02:36PM +0100, Honza Horak wrote:
Latest scl-utils define the following paths if %{nfsmountable} macro is
defined:

   %{_sysconfdir}    expands to /etc/opt/<vendor>/scls/<sclname>
   %{_localstatedir} expands to /var/opt/<vendor>/scls/<sclname>

(see the 'scls' part) but the rest files don't use 'scls', e.g.:

   %{_bindir}        expands to /opt/<vendor>/<sclname>

(no 'scls' in the path).
My opinion is we don't need this distinguishing at all.

Software Collections are just a delivery mechanism, to place files into a
unique structure, separated based on the *collection name*. If we don't need
to separate SCLs by any 'scl' keyword on RPM packages names (i.e. we don't
call collections with scl-colname, at least not now), we don't need to do it
on filesystem level either.

I agree.  Since the <vendor> will already own the namespace with their
portion of /{var,etc}/opt anyway, there is surely no great concern for
collisions; the onus will be on the vendor to ensure whatever name used
is unique.  SCLs are not special in this sense, as you say.

Since this topic is actually quite important for Env & Stacks working group in Fedora, I've hijacked most of the fedora env&stacks meeting [1] to discuss this topic today.

There were quite a few interesting notes mentioned and the voting showed the version with '/scls/' is the preferred way and it has some reasoning. So, it seems /opt/<vendor>/scls is the way to go in Fedora once SCLs get there.

This doesn't seem the /scls must be hardcoded in the scl-utils, I'd rather see it as something the distro can change the same way as vendor is supposed to be changed. Keeping it the same across the distros may be beneficial, but doesn't need to be required, since we change vendor anyway across distros.

That means we'd just set %_scl_prefix to /opt/fedora/scls in fedora, while default could stay what it is in scl-utils (just removing the scls/ hardcoded in the %{_sysconfdir} and similiar macros would be needed).

[1] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-2/2015-02-26/env-and-stacks.2015-02-26-13.02.html