[scl.org] GDAL and the python scls

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 19:16:55 UTC 2015

On 03/09/2015 11:36 PM, Justin Dearing wrote:
> Slavek/Honza,
>
> Thank you both for your replies.
>
> My question is would the python27 and python33 SCLs accept an RPM with
> these packages. They are important enough for inclusion in base
> Redhat/centos/fedora, and not trivial to install (although a little
> easier assuming google leads you to my questions). That makes them
> obvious candidates for their own RPMs.

One important thing is that the set of packages included in the RHSCL is
driven by customer requests, so the way to influence it is to contact
the Red Hat Customer Support.

But there is another way to provide those packages and make them
available -- a general collection that will *extend* the RHSCL's
python27 or python33 collection (for example python27extra collection).
This collection could be available as part of SCLo effort in CentOS --
http://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/SCLo

However, we're still not ready there, so it is not possible to
contribute right now. I expect people should be able to contribute in
few weeks at latest. Please, stay tuned.

> The other question is would there be an RPM for the latest version of
> GDAL in these SCLs or would they be tied to the GDAL that ships with the
> redhat/centos/fedora release.

Are there any gdal packages in RHEL/CentOS actually? Didn't you mean EPEL?

Honza