[scl.org] Announcing release for Ruby 1.9.3, 2.0.0, 2.2 and Ruby on Rails 3.2, 4.0, 4.1 on CentOS Linux 7 x86_64 SCL

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 06:50:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 5:09 AM, Honza Horak <hhorak at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'm not aware about any incompatibilities, they should be really the same.

If I'm reading it correctly, I don't think Noah's question is about
these specific versions, I think it's about the ongoing maintenance
plans for how the CentOS-built community SCLs relate to the Red Hat
SCL product.

My own understanding is that the intent is for them to share source
code just as CentOS and RHEL do, with the differences being in where
they're built (CentOS community infrastructure vs Red Hat's certified
infrastructure) and the lack of commercial support from Red Hat for
the community versions.

The main thing changing with the move to using cbs.centos.org is that
there's now a clear upstream home for the softwarecollections.org
build process, rather than the relatively ad hoc approach that needed
to be adopted after Fedora's Engineering Steering Council rejected the
use of Fedora's infrastructure for that purpose.

Regards,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan
Fedora Environments & Stacks

Software Development Workflow Designer & Process Architect